Wednesday, January 09, 2008

So Long, Golden Globes

I was slightly disappointed to learn that this year's Golden Globes have been canceled--though I am in full support of the writer's strike, and therefore understand. Instead, the awards will be announced via press conference on Sunday night, much like the nominations are announced. This won't be as much fun as the actual Globes telecast, but I'll still watch.

The Golden Globes are the only awards these days that, in some respects, actually seem to matter. More the television awards than the film ones. Many great television shows have been honored with Globes just shy of being canceled, and it let them survive another season or two.

And given the sorry state of Oscar telecasts in recent memory, those boring-ass snoozeathons, the Globes were always the highlight of the award season for me. (Not counting back when John Waters hosted the Independent Spirit Awards.)

Is Meryl Streep nominated for something this year? I want her to win every year, just so she'll make acceptance speeches as brassy, charming, endearing, honest, smart, giving, genuine, and snappy as this one. And, holy shit will you look at that dress!

1 comment:

David said...

I always think of Meryl as someone I would want to sit next to at a dinner party because she's so approachable, but then I would clam up and be so flabbergasted and tongue-tied that I wouldn't know what to do with myself. She always seems so gracious and grateful for her place.